Wednesday, December 16, 2009

On the third day of Christmas...


Brooklyn Brewery brought to me: a 12 oz. bottle of Black Chocolate Stout, a Russian Imperial stout weighing in at 10% abv. and by all definitions meant for leisurely sipping and enjoyment.

When I went outside earlier tonight, I got a whiff of Christmas. For the first time this year, that winter smell -- a mix of pine needles, fired furnaces and cold -- smacked my face as I headed to my car en route to the grocery store. I thought immediately, Tonight's the night for chocolate stout -- dark, syrupy, opulently chocolately chocolate stout.

Pours jet black with a thin layer of brown/tan head. (There probably should have been more head, but I blame my glassware, which probably wasn't cleaned properly -- damn roommates!) Smells strongly of chocolate with maybe a touch of coffee and raisin. First sip unleashes tons of bittersweet chocolately goodness, met with strong bitter black coffee. Some sweetness peaks through -- raisins, prunes -- but the roasted coffee/chocolate flavors predominate. Oh, and the alcohol makes its presence felt, coming through in the finish with a nice warming feel. I'm guessing this would age well, as some of the alcoholic notes might mellow.

I'm not a big fan of Imperial stouts, but this is one of the most flavorful, interesting, and complex ones I've tasted to date. Now if only I had a fireplace to sit in front of while I sipped it.

No comments:

Post a Comment